Monday, August 4, 2008

Superheroes...

8/3/08

Superheroes….

"I remember long time ago, when Aquaman used to cook me chi-e-ken"…

"Aquaman was shouting, What are you doing? What are you doing? – I’m just cooking feesh, I’m just cooking feesh, I’m so sorry Aquaman!!!"…

Re: Rex Navarrette’s Maritess vs. the Superfriends, Badly Browned (CD).

I saw the movie Hancock last Monday, starring Wil Smith, Charlize Theron (she was definitely saucy in this flick as a housewife) and Silver Spoon’s own Jason Bateman. Charlize is definitely on my "list". So, Miss Theron, if read this and happen to get an inkling of getting out to Vegas, hit me up.

Watching previews of this film, made me think that this would be some type of superhero spoof. Maybe a change from Mr. Smith’s usual summer blockbuster portrayals of the Fresh Prince against the world – either aliens, robots, humans infected by an incurable virus, etc. He is probably the reigning box office king these days. It’s nice to be the king. I’d rather be the prince, because everybody is always gunning for the king – anyway, as a prince, you will be king someday. Dunno’ why I said that.

If you haven’t seen it (spoilers coming), it is about a superhero by the name of John Hancock, played by Wil Smith. He seems to be a goodhearted person, but has his flaws. The first scene consisted of him lying on a bench at a bus stop, drunk off his ass. A kid comes up to him and tells him that a police chase is going on. Hancock wakes up and sees a lady passing him by. He slaps her on the butt. Funny stuff. He then flew out into the sky. The park bench explodes, due to the force of him flying out of the area. At the end of the scene, he catches the bad guys and puts their vehicle atop a pole on the Capitol Records building in LA. Unfortunately, after this chaos, he causes millions in damage to the city of LA. People interviewed in newscasts mostly scold Hancock’s methods of doing "good" in the city. There are a few people that see the good that he actually does in fighting "crime" his way. Like I say, it’s better to have a gun, than not have one. It’s a necessary evil.

I won’t reveal the rest of the movie to you, but there was a pleasant surprise in the story line midway through the movie. It involves the character played by Charlize Theron. This made it a much more different movie that I was expecting to watch. This is not your typical superhero movie that they have been making these days. Some reviews of the movie that I have read, have criticized the tangent the story line takes halfway through the movie. They say that the movie does not have a clear cut message. Do movies need to have messages? Are they vehicles to relay some important diatribe? No, they are for entertainment. To me, it was entertaining (too bad they didn’t cast Mandy Moore as Aquagirl, hmmm..that’s for the sequel). It must have been entertaining to a bunch of people, because I believe it has grossed over $210,000,000.00 domestically to date. That ain’t "Dark Knight" numbers, but a respectable amount, with more to go.

No comments: