Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mid Life Crisis...

9/5/08

Mid Life Crisis…

Yeah right, I guess in my thirties, I have reached
Mid Life. I need to quit smoking, maybe I can increase
my life expectancy a few years to a decade, but who wants
to live till their past 80? I say that now, but you know,
70 to 80 years is a long time. I mean, do I have to budget
for my life expectancy or what? I know it’s kind of a
weird stance to take in thinking about how much money you
need to live, but these days, it’s kind of warranted.
There’s always the Philippines to go back to, with their
desirable exchange rate and all. With all the travelling
I have done going back to the homeland, these past years,
I don’t think I could hack it for the long run. There are
just some things you get used to when growing up in the
States. Like, a stable government, 7-11’s just down the
street, driving on roads without potholes, getting a chance
to vote, hot water on demand, the list is endless. I just
wish that the Philippines stayed a territory of USA, where
they would enjoy the same status at an actual state of the
union. But after World War II, that didn’t happen and the
PI digressed (where in turn, Japan, the country the States
dumped 2 atomic bombs on, has developed into a world
economic leader – weird to me).

Anyway, I flew back in the Bay Area this last Sunday to meet
up with family for Lola Floria’s one year death anniversary
(my grandmother on my mother’s side) and to hang out for
my birthday. I feel bad that I did not get to meet up with
some of my friends for my birthday, but I didn’t plan to do
anything big for it. I guess after a certain age, I don’t
feel like partying like I was 21 again. The body can’t take
it anymore. Like Sgt. Murtaugh (Danny Glover in Lethal
Weapon movies) says, “I’m too old for this shit”. Well, not
really hehe. I just wanted to spend a low key week in town.

I celebrated my birthday with my GF last Thursday. We spent
a relaxing hour at Watercourse Way in Palo Alto. We should
have stayed longer. If you haven’t gone there, I recommend
it for you to go. They have several rooms to choose and
couples specials (massage and tub combo’s). After Palo Alto,
we headed up to SF to eat at Fog City Diner for dinner.
If you know me, I can do fine dining, but I really like the
simple fare. Well, Fog City Diner is not your typical diner
though. You could say it’s the “Cadillac” or “MBZ’y” of
diners. It’s located off the Embarcadero and Battery streets
in the City. Here’s is a rundown of what we ordered…Started
off with these buttery Cheese Biscuits, if you like the ones
at Red Lobster, you’ll definitely want these, they are 10
times better. They just kind of melted in your mouth.
Next up was Ahi Tuna Tartar Bruschetta, doused in olive oil
(you can imagine the taste). For the main entrée, was their
Signature Burger, I think it might have been made with ground
prime rib. Had the burger topped off with blue cheese, arugula,
grilled onions and applewood bacon. Truffle cut fries topped
with melted asiago was on the side. Another good choice.
For dessert were 2 Ghiradelli Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
A great tasting version of the Reese’s OG snack, I love.

Oh yeah, got my first LV from the GF too, I guess I have
joined the club...

Snuggling sessions occurred later of course, can't seem
to do without them. Gay, huh? Hehe...

Anyway, just seemed like I wanted to chill for the rest of
the weekend. Went to a cousin's birthday bbq that Saturday,
grubbed and swam. Then went to Mom's and Dad's with the
GF, to babysit Mom for a bit, as Dad wanted to go party
with some of his old coworkers in the City.

I guess Garcia's never retire from the scene.

It was fine, as I wanted to spend time with the Moms
(as you may know she is post kidney transplant surgery for
the last 6 months and she is doing pretty good). Plus my
GF wanted to see the stray kittens that come over to
my parents home, from the next door neighbors. The
next door neighbor died some time ago and her children
did not take her cats. 2 litters have been borne since
then. So there's about 8 kittens with a couple of
mommies and the dad. My GF had a good time feeding
and hanging out with the cat family. She has a good
heart, well I think she is part cat too...hehe...

My brother and his wife came over, so me and the GF hit
Valley Fair to check out some stuff before Macy's closed.

"These boots are made for walkin', that's just what
they'll do..." (sorry inside joke)...

Sunday was chill too, met up with a couple of buddies
for the old skool meet ups for breakfast. Went to
see Lola Floria and Lolo Pedring at the cemetery one
more time before leaving to Vegas. Kicked it at home
with the GF, before her dropping me off at the airport.
I really hate goodbyes...

I will need to see more of the peeps next time I visit,
which will probably be soon...but it can be hard with
everyone's busy schedule.

Mid Life Crisis is in the mind, I don't really have it.
Just need to maximize the oppurtunity I planned out for
when I left the 9 to 5.

See y'all on the green felt...

No comments: